Saturday, February 24, 2007

Quality Lacrosse

Today in class Galen talked about lacrosse and it's lack of national attention. I thought it was an interesting assessment as I was born and raised in Maryland, a town, where we eat, breathe, sleep lacrosse. I've played since I was three years old and I love watching it, just about as much as I love playing. It's an institution on the east coast and really not much else matters once the spring season rolls around. Baltimore hosts the NCAA Tournament almost every year and local colleges Johns Hopkins, Towson and Maryland are powerhouses.

I really just wonder why lacrosse is a sport of a region. Basketball, while worshipped Indiana is everywhere, and its the same with other sports. Rugby
is huge in Australia and other foreign countries, why has it not caught on here. Cricket and net ball are two other prime examples.

My post is really just calling for responses as to what you think about sports not catching on everywhere and why this might be. Also, are there solutions that can help with spreading the desire to play?

2 comments:

John Wustrow said...

Just like you allude to, it's all about where you were raised. Up in Michigan a lot of people grow up playing hockey on ponds or some people even make their own ice rink in their backyard every winter. As a result the NHL is a lot more popular than it is in Indiana.

Other than a layover in LAX, I've never been California, but I would assume beach volleyball is a bigger deal out there than it is in cooler weather climates.

ccrohan said...

Duke just won the ACC championship over Virgina...boo yah